- Printing | The printing is done, on demand, by theprintspace in London (delivery to the UK) or Düsseldorf (delivery to the rest of the world).
- Shipping | Prints are dispatched by theprintspace within 48 hours to anywhere in the world for a flat €7 fee. All orders are shipped using Royal Mail signed for services. Prints are shipped laying flat inside a cardboard envelope with sturdy backing board.
- Quality | Each of the visualizations is printed using high quality (archival) paper and inks that should last for more than a century if not two.
- Paper | The exact paper used depends on each print and is mentioned on the product page. It's generally a beautiful, thick and nicely textured archival-quality paper. Before a new print (collection) is added to my store I first have it printed on several different paper stocks and inspect it myself to assess which paper gives the best results for each particular print design.
- Sizes | Most of the artworks are printed on A4 (210×297mm / 8.27×11.69in) or A3 (297x420mm / 11.69x16.53in) sizes.
- Frames | All the prints are sold without frames. I personally find the transparent IKEA FORNBRO frames to fit really well.
- Signature prints | I've had prints send to myself to make sure I approved of the quality, colors, readability, paper stocks etc. I don't need that many prints myself so I'm selling these as limited editions where I have signed them. You can check out the ones still available for purchase here.
- Printing | I "print", or more specifically, let my mechanical pen plotter, the AxiDraw V3/A3, draw out the patterns that I've programmed on my laptop, from my home in the Netherlands.
- Shipping | I ship the pen plots laying flat inside a cardboard envelope with sturdy backing board and use PostNL. The shipping costs can be viewed on check-out and vary depending on country, size of the artwork, and whether or not you want tracking.
- Limited Editions | All the pen plotter prints are limited edition, generally out of 10. I number, date, and sign these myself. If there is a plot that you've seen on my Instagram that isn't in the shop, but you'd like to buy, just send me an email me and I'll see if I can add it to the shop!
- Pens | For each design I've chosen a specific pen type and color that I feel best represents it. These are all high quality pens, often acid-free, and come from respected brands such as Sakura, Staedtler, Pentel and Pilot. For a select few of my pen plots it's possible for you to decide a different color (within the same collection of pens). If this is the case, it's mentioned in the product description.
- Paper | The exact paper used depends on each design and is mentioned on the product page. It's generally a beautiful, thick and smooth high quality paper.
- Sizes | All the artworks are printed on A4 (210×297mm / 8.27×11.69in) size.
- Frames | All the prints are sold without frames.
Issues / Returns / Refunds
All sales are final, and I cannot offer returns unless there is an error and you receive the incorrect print. However, if a print is damaged, or the order is in some way defective, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a replacement (please include a photo of the damage).
Data Visualization Creation
In general I start my visuals with an idea, some topic that intrigues me or some question that I'm curious about. I start searching the web for data, any data, whether that is already in nicely formatted files, or I need to put in some hard manual labour to scrape or collect it from different places. Once I have the raw data gathered I clean and analyze it with R, to get an understanding of the data quality, but also to slowly wrap my head around what stories lie hidden within. I create tons of simple plots to build up this understanding, and once I've found an angle to visualize I'll grab my pen and paper to draw out some rough designs.