- Printing | The printing is done, on demand, by theprintspace in London (delivery to the UK) or Düsseldorf (delivery to the rest of the world).
- Shipping | Prints are dispatched by theprintspace within 48 hours to anywhere in the world for free! All orders are shipped, with tracking code, using Royal Mail in the UK, Deutsche Post in Germany, and DHL for the rest of the world. Prints are shipped laying flat inside a cardboard envelope with a sturdy backing board.
- Quality | Each of the visualizations is printed using high quality (archival) paper and inks that should last for more than a century if not two.
- Paper | The exact paper used depends on each print and is mentioned on the product page. It's generally a beautiful, thick and nicely textured archival-quality paper. Before a new print (collection) is added to my store I first have it printed on several different paper stocks and inspect it myself to assess which paper gives the best results for each particular print design.
- Sizes | Most of the artworks are printed on A4 (210×297mm / 8.27×11.69in) or A3 (297x420mm / 11.69x16.53in) sizes.
- Frames | All the prints are sold without frames. I personally find the transparent IKEA FORNBRO frames to fit really well.
- Signature prints | I've had prints send to myself to make sure I approved of the quality, colors, readability, paper stocks etc. I don't need that many prints myself so I'm selling these as limited editions where I have signed them. You can check out the ones still available for purchase here.
- Printing | I "print", or more specifically, let my mechanical pen plotter, the AxiDraw V3/A3, draw out the patterns that I've programmed on my laptop, from my home in the Netherlands.
- Shipping | Worldwide standard shipping is free! Upgrading to a tracking code is €9 (except for the Netherlands, where it's always shipped with a tracking code). I ship the pen plots from my home in the Netherlands. The plots are laying flat inside a cardboard envelope with a sturdy backing board and I use PostNL.
- Limited Editions | All the pen plotter prints are limited edition, generally out of 10. I number, date, and sign these myself. If there is a plot that you've seen on my Instagram that isn't in the shop, but you'd like to buy, just email me and I'll see if I can add it to the shop!
- Pens | For each design I've chosen a specific pen type and color that I feel best represents it. These are all high quality pens, often acid-free, and come from respected brands such as Sakura, Staedtler, Pentel and Pilot. For a select few of my pen plots it's possible for you to decide a different color (within the same collection of pens). If this is the case, it's mentioned in the product description.
- Paper | The exact paper used depends on each design and is mentioned on the product page. It's generally a beautiful, thick and smooth high quality paper.
- Sizes | All the artworks are printed on A4 (210×297mm / 8.27×11.69in) size.
- Frames | All the prints are sold without frames.
Issues / Returns / Refunds
All sales are final, and I cannot offer returns unless there is an error and you receive the incorrect print. However, if a print is damaged, or the order is in some way defective, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a replacement (please include a photo of the damage).
Data Visualization Creation
In general I start my visuals with an idea, some topic that intrigues me or some question that I'm curious about. I start searching the web for data, any data, whether it's already in nicely formatted files, or I need to put in some hard manual labor to scrape or collect it from different places. Once I have the raw data gathered I clean and analyze it with R, to get an understanding of the data quality, but also to slowly wrap my head around what stories lie hidden within. I create tons of simple plots to build up this understanding, and once I've found an angle to visualize I'll grab my pen and paper to draw out some rough designs.